Monday, April 23, 2012

Steamship Banan ~ 17 January 1891

Annual Report of the Operations of the United States Life-Saving Service for the fiscal year ending June 30, 1891:

CURRITUCK BEACH, NORTH CAROLINA, January 18, 1891

"DEAR SIR: I beg to state that my vessel, the Norwegian steamship Banan, stranded on the beach about two miles south of the Currituck lighthouse in very thick weather and a heavy sea from northeast, at 8 o'clock yesterday morning. The vessel had been working full speed astern for about two minutes before striking, and continued doing so for about half an hour after, but when it was seen to be of no avail, and the sea was breaking heavily, we fired five distress signals at a few seconds' interval, to call for help. Shortly after 9 o'clock, when the coast was discerned from the vessel, the lifeboat was there reach to be launched. About 9:30 the boat came alongside and took off my wife and some of the seamen. About one hour later the boat came out again and took off a few more, leaving on board both mates, chief engineer, steward, five sailors, and myself, who did not want to leave the vessel. I find it a pleasure to state that Captain Scarborough and his crew worked with the utmost dispatch, and, considering the heavy breakers, handled their boat admirably and took all that were landed ashore without any misfortune. I have also heard today from my wife and the part of the crew that were on shore during the night, that they have been treated very kindly in every respect. For these services I hereby offer, both in their name and in my own, most sincere thanks. I am, dear sir, yours truly, THO. HANSEN, Master of Steamship Banan."

No comments:

Post a Comment